Thursday, August 3, 2017

Start learning flying

I have finally decided to learn flying. Every kid has a dream of flying. I have wanted to do that for a very long time. But learning flying is not cheap. The airplane rental and instruction time are expensive, and there are a lot hours needed in order to be able to do that safely (you can't exactly slow down and pull off to the side of the road). But I have decided that I have to do it. Recently I sold my motorcycle, so I can get some money put aside for my flying lessons. Here we go!

Aeronca Champ from 1940s
For some strange reason, I am always fascinated by the taildraggers for a longest time. So when I started to learn flying recently, I took a path less taken. I wanted a place where I can have my lessons on a taildragger (instead of a Cessna 152). After some research, I found a school less than one hour from where I live, and now I am starting my lessons on a Champ (with no electricity). That's really cool! And my instructor is an wonderful gentleman who is in his late 80s (!!!) and he is as sharp as ever. Talking about classic old school!

How cool it is that I am flying on an airplane built 30 years after Wright brothers invented, with no electricity on board! You can just slide open the window and stick your hands out to feel the wind. That's exactly the same way our pioneers are doing flying!

No comments: